The work of the Library is directed to the creation of conditions for practical activity work of students, the teachers and professors, scientific workers of the National Metallurgical Academy of Ukraine.
The Library is educational, scientific, informational and cultural subdivision of academy.
Near 17 thousand of readers are supplied with the library annually, the book issue is near 600 thousand copies.
There are 3 lending departments, 2 reading - rooms, reference-bibliographical department and the department of mass work. There are 2 branches of the library in Nikopol and Kryvoy Rog.
The book stock consists of near 500 thousand copies. It is polybranch. There are books on metallurgy, machinery, chemical industry, economy, information technologies etc.
The Library of the National Metallurgical academy was founded in 1930 year. It was a year of the foundation of the Metallurgical Institute as an independent educational institution.
Before the Great Patriotic War there were near 300 thousand books at the library. During the war book issue was ransacked.
Many libraries of the USSR helped to stock the library of Metallurgical Institute. The doors of the library were opened in1943 year after the deliverance of Dnepropetrovsk.
The directors of the library were: V. M. Zeatina (1933-1941), A. B. Umanskya (1943-1946), Ye. G. Gantserovskya (1952-1988) who took part in the Great Patriotic War. From August 1988- S. N. Fakhrutdinova is chief manager of the library.