The National Metallurgical Academy of Ukraine (NMetAU) is one of the oldest institutions of higher education for metallurgical engineering. It was established in October, 1899 as a department of Katerinoslavsky Higher Mining School. In 1912, the department was transformed into a metallurgical faculty of Katerinoslavsky Mining Institute. In 1930, it acquired the status of an independent institution of higher education and obtained the name of Dnipropetrovsk Metallurgical Institute. In 1993, the higher status of State Metallurgical Academy of Ukraine was gained and fixed by the Resolution of Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine and, in 1999, the status of the National Metallurgical Academy of Ukraine was adopted by the Ukaz (Decree) of the President of Ukraine.